Product Condition New
IONI is a digital motor drive designed for driving AC/BLDC and DC servo motors and steppers. IONI allows controlling motors in all three operating modes: position control, velocity control and torque control (torque mode only with servo motors). Applications of such control methods include
- Position control, such as CNC, robotics and 3D printing
- Velocity control, such as spindles or feeders
- Force / torque control, such as racing simulator wheel
Commands to IONI drive can be delivered in many formats and from many sources, such as PC, PLC, microcontroller (i.e. Arduino, MBED and OEM boards) or embedded computers like Raspberry Pi. IONI understands several forms of setpoint commands:
- Step & direction digital signals (typical stepper drive interface, good for position control)
- Analog +/-10V signal (good for speed or torque control)
- PWM signal (good for speed or torque control)
- RS485 serial bus (talks SimpleMotion V2 bus protocol, open source library available)
As motor is not included, make sure that you have, or obtain a motor that is compatible with IONI.
Servo motor requirements:
- Permanent magnet brush-DC, AC, brushless or linear motor
- Motor voltage rating 12-60 VDC (IONI supply voltage is 5 – 52 VDC)
- Motor current rating 0.5 – 15A (IONI maximum output is 15A)
- Servo motor must be equipped with an incremental encoder (position sensor) with resolution of 100 to 1000000 pulses per revolution.
Stepping motor requirements:
- Two-phase stepping motor with 0.5 – 10A current rating, no feedback device needed. Can be used in position and velocity control mode. Torque control mode not possible with stepper.
IONI vs IONI Pro
Before purchase, take a look on IONI specifications on Wiki
- One SimpleMotion V2 USB adapter is necessary for software based configuration of IONI. Also RJ45 Ethernet cable (not cross-linked type) is needed (not supplied by GD).
- IONICUBE or IONICUBE 1X motherboard is highly recommended with IONIdrives for easier wiring